It was one of those rare, perfect, early fall afternoons that occasionally favors middle Georgia. The stultifying heat of the 1948 summer had finally broken, and outside the open windows in the newly-cleared attic space on the third floor of the Ryals Law Building, the sky was the deepening color of blue that holds the promise of cooler weather and falling leaves. Inside, the air was still, but the atmosphere was electric with energy and a measure of tension. The group of students assembled there, led by Bill Tyson, were about to try something new and different in Mercer University Law School's seventy-five year existence-the inauguration of a Law Review. True, all of the "Ivy League" schools had flourishing law reviews with long-established traditions, but, in making this bold move on behalf of a small southern school like Mercer, Dean O'Neal' and Professor Quarles were really stepping out in front of the pack. Up to that point, student-published legal writing in Georgia had been limited to "casenote" type contributions to the Georgia Bar Journal, and Mercer students, along with their counterparts at Emory University and the University of Georgia, had participated in this activity. But, in the view of Dean O'Neal, that wasn't enough. Something more was needed to single Mercer out and, as he related, "get the Law School back fully on its feet after the toils of World War II."
Adams, Charles R. III
""Lest We Forget": The History of Mercer Law Review,"
Mercer Law Review: Vol. 50
, Article 4.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.law.mercer.edu/jour_mlr/vol50/iss1/4